DEEPEN THE LEARNING...FORWARD THE ACTION
By Coach Lorne McAlister
I’m a life coach. My specialty is helping individuals and leaders process life from the perspective of faith. Stuck, stalled and stupid happens in this zone, also. I’ve been helping people with life and faith issues for 44 years. Nothing I’ve ever done has been more impacting than the partnerships I’m now making with individuals as their life coach. Fog gets burned off. Fallacies get challenged. Values are clarified. Excuses are neutralized. Authentic honesty happens and is incredibly helpful. Pastors and parishioners alike experience the revolution, the resolution, and the resilence that results from life coaching that deepens the learning and forwards the action.
Life coaching is a strategic conversation that occurs when a motivated client responds to the powerful questions and deep listening of a trained coach.
Powerful, open ended questions force clients to dig into their healthy creativity, to tap into their realistic resourcefulness and to explore the insights and action options available to them. Life coaching has these two big goals; first to deepen the learning and second to forward the action.
Powerful Questions That Deepen the Learning
· What did you just learn or discover?
· Is that the only way to look at and to deal with this?
· Is there another story you could tell using this same data?
· What aren’t you willing to say no to and what is the price you are paying for this decision?
· What additional information are you going to need to make a quality decision?
· What could the future that you get to dream and design look like?
· What personal values motivate you to take these action steps?
· What ideas, passions, and dreams has God made you pregnant with?
Powerful Questions That Forward the Action
· What do you think you should do about this?
· A goal is a dream with a date, so when are you going to complete this task?
· A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, so what is that next step and when are you going to take it?
· If you are going to be true to you, what do you need to do?
· Who do you need on your team?
· What action would you like me to hold you accountable to take?
· Who do you need to pull over to the curb and let off your bus?
The definitive moment happens when you allow powerful questions to pull to the surface useful information and appropriate action plans that deepen the learning and forward the action. Life coaching is the catalyst for these two things to happen.
Skilled life coaches ask the big questions, provide the authentic honesty, give the appropriate pat on the back and when necessary, the needed kick in the pants so that the learning gets deepened and the action gets forwarded.
Stalled, stuck or stupid?
If you’re in neutral and you want to jumpstart your life then nothing that I know of works better than a confidential conversation with a life coach. What you have to lose is worth losing. What you stand to gain is worth getting.
When you have everything to gain and something worth losing by saying yes, by all means say yes.
· Something’s wrong!
· Someone’s missing!
· Let’s talk.
So here’s the deal…
· You do or you don’t. There’s no such thing as you’ll try.
· Nothing much changes until you do.
Deepen the learning and forward the action with the help of your life coach. I’d love to design a coaching alliance that would really work for you. You can contact me at email@example.com.
Remember, if you don't do it today, there's a 95% chance you won't do it ever.